Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Argh!

No, I have not turned into a pirate.

Is there anything more annoying than losing a book? It's a trick question. Right now, there's nothing more annoying. Tomorrow in traffic, I'm sure that the car riding on my back bumper will take that honor.

My first priority for my upcoming vacation was my reading list. I thought tonight would be a good time to gather those books and dump them into the suitcase so that I could feel as if I were making packing progress.

I bought a book several months ago that hasn't floated to the top of my reading stack, but vacation seemed like the perfect time to tackle it, given the long train and airline hours ahead of me. It should have been simple, but there are stacks of books everywhere in the hovel. I went through them all. I found three more "must read" books, but not the one I wanted.

I'm not against buying another copy if I have to. But I shouldn't have to. It's here somewhere. The worst part is that I have visually keyed memory, so I can picture where I last saw it, but not well enough to home in on it. It's somewhere safe. Probably next to the Amber Room and the Ark of the Covenant. Damn it. This is going to bug me for days.

No comments: