Friday, February 22, 2008

When Your Editor Says: "Huh?"

Editors are either gods or demons to writers. There isn't much middle ground.

I got my first edits back on Love Ruins along with comments from my editor. She is questioning part of my story that isn't clear to her. Now, while I did explain it to her, I've given this some serious thought and I think a rewrite of that entire section is called for. Why? Because if your editor is saying, "Huh?" then so will all your readers. So you have the choice of going around to each reader and explaining what you meant, or you make it clear in the book and save everyone time and confusion.

It does have a cascade effect. It changes a later scene, and it changes some stuff in the third novel, but honestly, while I love my readers, I don't want to have to go to each one and have to explain that scene.

This is what being a published writer means - taking critique and acting on it to improve the story. Forget having a diva moment. Forget wailing about art. The editor is right. It has to be fixed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember being confused by any of it. What part did the editor not understand? Just curious.
D. L. King

Kathleen Bradean said...

I think the reason you didn't say, "Huh?" is because we discussed that scene at length before you read the entire MS. Remind me again why I always ask you if something is too twisted. Maybe because I always want the answer to be No. Enabler!!!! ;)

The thing that had her saying, "Huh?" was there was no resolution about Hector's feelings about that one scene by the end of the book, so she was wondering why I put it in.

Confessions of an angst addict here: I love really complicated, f**ked up characters. There's a point, though, where everyone is messed up enough, and they have plenty problems to sort out by the end of book three. I think I'll save that particular issue for another character in another book, because it deserves exploration on it's own. Maybe I'll title it Master Has His Own Issues, So Don't Be Surprised When He Freaks During A Scene.