Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Undead

I always say I hate vampires. Every other writer I know groans when vampires are mentioned. And yet, I spent a couple hours talking to DL King about vamps last night because she's editing a vampire anthology for Cleis, and after we said goodbye, my mind was whirling with vampire story ideas.

I guess I don't truly hate vampires as much as I dislike vampire stories. Is there a more Freudian monster in existence? No. Are they Gothic as hell? Yes. Do they fit into modern life? Yep. Are they easily adaptable to cheesy erotic romance novels? Um...

That right there might be the problem.

I've read too many poorly written, over the top, purple-prose vampire stories, usually not by choice. It's like aversion therapy. I hear "vampire," and I flinch. That's really unfair as there are some wonderful vampire stories out there, but I hesitate to read them because I've been burnt one too many times.

So please, for my sake, if you submit a story to DL King's anthology, make it fresh. Re-examine the folklore. Stay away from red velvet, men with long hair, and billowy white curtains and nightgowns.

The call:
Call For Submissions:

Sex with Bite--Vampire Erotica (Title TBA)
Edited by D. L. King
To be published by Cleis Press
Deadline: March 1, 2009
Payment: $50 and 2 copies of the anthology

D. L. King is looking for super-erotic vampire stories

The allure of the vampire... There's no denying this fascination with immortality, with the eternally beautiful, strong and sexy. Creatures who take what they need; stealing the life force from those unlucky enough to cross their paths--or possibly those whose luck leads them to the most thrilling experience of their lives. What makes these lust-filled creatures so irresistible to our kind?

We've seen lots of romantic vampires of late. Those aren't the ones I'm looking for. I want blood quickening, heart pounding, dangerous, intelligent, maddeningly beautiful, hot as hell vampires. I'm not looking for love, or maybe I'm looking for love in all the wrong, bad, scary places. Think of beings whose carnality can't be sated, innocence caught in lust's snare, those who can't help taking a walk on the dark side--or turn the tables. Send me something different; something we haven't seen before, something molten.

This anthology is primarily heterosexual, but I'll consider GLBT stories. Remember, no underage characters, please. Stories should be between 2,000 and 4,000 words, double-spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman or Courier New. Please indent the first line of each paragraph one-half inch and do not include extra lines between paragraphs.

Send your story as a .doc or .rtf attachment and include the title, pseudonym (if applicable), your legal name and mailing address to vampantho@gmail.com. Subject line should read: Submission: TITLE. Please include a 50 to 75-word bio and direct any questions to the same address. Original stories only. You must own all rights to any reprints.

No comments: