Sunday, August 07, 2005

Lisabet Sarai's Fire


Lisabet Sarai is one of my favorite erotica writers. From the anthology Sacred Exchanges to Raw Silk , her stories have that dream quality that makes the rest of the world go away. As I read, I become aware of my body. Aware of my breathing. Arousing stuff.

Although Lisabet often bemoans that her characters feel too similar to her, as a reader, I found a wide range of voices in her newest collection: Fire.

I'll ignore the easy puns about the title story, Fire. The hardest thing to convey in a fetish story is the sexual connection, but Lisabet brings you inside the mind of a man with a fire fetish and lets you feel the attraction. Creepy? Yeah. Enjoy the chills.

Butterfly is one of those stories where you ache for the character. He denies himself happiness because he can't get past the one flaw of his seemingly perfect lover. While the end was realistic, I wanted to shake him.

Perception is a great domination and submission story that doesn't rely on any of the trope usually associated with power play. Hot, fun, and refreshing.

Thieve's Honor is about a pickpocket who gets caught in the act by a mysterious man with a proposition. Never mind all that. This is one where you just have to go along for the ride. The train sex had me squirming in my seat. Lots of sassy bravado from the main character, and more hot sex.

I could go on about many of the stories in this collection. Wednesday Night at Rocky's Ace Hardware Store is what you wish your Wednesday nights were like. Vows is spiritually steamy. Detente - well- let's say that those domestic arrangements would suit me just fine, if I were David. So pick up a copy and enjoy. When Lisabet takes you along, you simply have to trust that you're in the hands of a master.

No comments: