Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Contracts

I'm discussing terms of a contract with a publisher, and even though it's been polite (strained politeness), it's wearing me out. On one hand, it's just one story, and it seems silly to be arguing such picky details over my rights. On the other hand, if more writers refused to sign away all their rights for such small sums, we'd all be better off. So I feel as if I'm being stubborn not just for me, but for the sake of other writers who might not know better. Of course, they probably signed away all those rights without understanding what they'd sold so cheaply.

*sigh*

This is not an example of "happily published." I guess I have to decide if my principles are more important than the money (they are - no real decision there) but also if I want to risk my relationship with that publisher.

No comments: