Sunday, June 11, 2006

Scarecrow's Bible and One Of These Things

I went to readings at Skylight Books in Hollywood last night for Martin Hyatt's A Scarecrow's Bible and D. Travers Scott's One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other. Poor guys. It's tough being billed against LA PRIDE. But they had a decent turn-out.


This is a picture of them trying to answer a stumper question from the audience. It wasn't so much a question as a meandering comment followed by, "What do you think about that?" I would have folded, but they gamely gave it a shot. (Evil me wanted to ask a completely off the wall question evoking Kafka, quantum theory, and Black Eyed Peas lyrics, just to see the guys sweat.)

Trav was, as usual, a joy to listen to, and fun to watch as well. His spoken word background shines through at his readings. Although we show up at some of the same things, this was the first chance I had to get my copy of his book signed.

It's always a great pleasure for me to tell writers how much I enjoy their work. I chatted a bit with Martin and realized that through some incredible quirk of fate, we were and Saints and Sinners and never saw each other. While that might not sound odd, consider that for an hour or so, I sat on the couch where he was sleeping. Well, I know him by sight now, so next year I'll know to wave at him from across the room, or to leave a note tucked into the cushions of the couch.

No comments: