Saturday, July 29, 2006

Limitless

When I first started writing erotica, I had two personal limits: no straight vanilla, and absolutely no vampire stories.

The vampires taboo got chucked first. But I want to be clear about this - I sold out for money. Well, I wanted to work with an editor I admired, and the only anthology she had open was titled Blood Surrender - obviously vampire themed- so you could argue that I did it for artistic reasons, but it was really the cash that lured me.

I subsequently wrote another vampire story that I have yet to sell, but that one would not get out of my head until I wrote it down, and I had another deadline coming up for a different anthology, so I got it out of my system and went on to write something that paid. That was sheer self-preservation. I do not break my limits on spec. Please - I'm a professional. (If you're another erotica writer, even though you know I'm full of it, stop laughing. I'm trying to be serious here. Okay, not really.)

After I'd been writing erotica for a while, I got a bit of fuck fatigue. Erogenous ennui. Jism jaded, as it were. It took stranger fantasies to excite my imagination. Hardcore BDSM? *yawn* Puppy play? *meh* Anal sex? *sigh* Enema play? *been there, done that - on paper* So I was looking for something really kinky and twisted to rev my engines again. I had to push my envelope, all the way to a tale of a hetero, married couple enjoying vanilla sex. I know - I'm such a rebel.

Anyone who has read bondage stories knows that being restrained can help a person move beyond limits, so once I destroyed my existing boundaries, I felt as if I had to set new ones. So I decided I will never, ever, under no circumstances, edit an anthology. It's too much work, takes up valuable creative time, and I'd have to deal with writers. No way. Never. Not gonna happen.

So, I've been brainstorming anthology ideas with Kate Dominic. It's all just talk though. Just talking is fine, right? It's not as if I'm actually going to do it. At least until October, because we're both booked solid with other projects until then.

No comments: