Monday, July 24, 2006

The Social Writer



Trebor, Justin, and Trav at Equal Writes reading.



Air conditioning. Ahhhh.

I went to Trebor Healey and Justin Chin's reading at Skylight Books in Hollywood last night to meet up with Kate Dominic, and to spend some time chatting with the guys. The air conditioning was a huge bonus during this heat wave. We sweltered the day before in Long Beach at Equal Writes at another reading that included D. Travers Scott. (I'd never been to Equal Writes before, but now that I know about it, I'll go back. It has a great room for readings, and I strongly support independent book stores.)

It's always fun to watch D. Travers Scott while he reads, because he puts so much body language into it. I also love to hear him try to sum up the complicated plot of his Lambda Award winning novel, One of These Things Is Not Like The Others. It makes me feel better about my inability to summarize my plots in two-line Hollywood style pitches.

This is the first time I've heard Trebor read his poetry. Had to buy his newest collect, Sweet Son of Pan, because I liked what I heard. I'm just getting back into reading poetry after years away from it, but with work like this to read, I'll become a fan.

I'd heard of Justin Chin but never met him before. I'm completely in love with his sense of humor now. When I bought my copy of Attack of the Man-Eating Lotus Blossoms, he gave me a bonus cum rag, took it back, told me I looked slutty and probably needed a bigger one. I could listen to this man talk for hours.

All of these guys are Suspect Thoughts writers. It's so nice to chat with writers who are happily published. Gives me hope.

No comments: