Monday, March 05, 2007

This Should Be An Interesting Weekend

The panel I'm heading is titled Safe, Sane, and Consensual, but people will probably call it the BDSM class, or even the kinkfest. I'm tempted to wear my hooker boots - because nothing says "I know what I'm talking about" more than black leather, or "pay attention" like a whip coiled on the table.

Where the panel goes depends a lot on the audience. If most are familiar with Bondage, Discipline, Domination and Submission, and Sadism and Masochism, we can skip over that and get into more detailed discussions about writing BDSM. If the audience is new to it, we'll stick to basic definitions. Either way can be fun.

What I've learned from the other times I've been on BDSM panels is that the most interesting discussions happen later, when people pull me aside for private chats. Even though I'm fairly snarky a lot of the time, I can't be that way when people are seriously seeking help. I listen for the real question, which is usually some variant on "Am I a bad person?", "How can I tell my lover I want this?" or, "Am I normal?" They're usually relieved by my answers, but I always wonder why they trust my opinion. It must be the black leather boots.

No comments: