Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Once A Band Geek, Always A Band Geek

The SO and I spent tonight at a band concert. Never mind how Rhapsody In Blue was neutered - okay, we did mind. How can you even think of playing that piece without the clarinet solo at the beginning? But anyway... Our personal bete noires were out in force. Hard mallets on a marimba. Untuned tympani that was struck in the middle instead of the side. Don't even get the SO started on the proper way to hold a cowbell, tambourine, or the claves. And oh - the hand positions on drum rolls! Out of tune flutes and squeaking saxophones we can deal with, but percussion sins are like nails on a chalkboard.

We are such geeks, and the geekiness will always be with us, I suppose.

Now I have to go find a decent version of Rhapsody, close my eyes, and soak it in to erase what I've heard.

No comments: