Thursday, October 12, 2006

Reading for GAY L.A.

The reading for Gay L.A.: A History of Sexual Outlaws, Power Politics, and
Lipstick Lesbians by Stuart Timmons and Lillian Faderman was standing room only at Skylight last night.

Stuart signing books:


I was glad that I bought my copy at the West Hollywood book fair, because the line to get a copy signed was almost out the door. It was exciting to see that many people turn out. I hope this book is very successful since it relates history that's hidden or unknown even to people who think they know LA and think they know the history of the gay rights movement. While I'm enjoying the stories of closeted Hollywood, the parts of this book that really touch me are the personal tales of everyday citizens such as the women who felt she couldn't report a car accident because she knew the LAPD would at least threaten her and possibly arrest her for being gay - a real possibility given the notorious paramilitary thug mentality of the LAPD.


Trebor Healey, who emceed, models his t-shirt for the event:



Even though I showed up to cheer on Stuart, I was absolutely thrilled to find myself standing next to Malcolm Boyd. The whole time I was thinking, "This man is a civil rights legend! How cool is it that I'm talking to him?" Hopefully my inner dork didn't shine through while we chatted. If it did, he was much to kind to mention it. I'm sure there were tons of other notable people there, and I certainly recognized a number of men in the crowd from other readings, but I haven't matched up faces to names yet. It doesn't really matter. I don't go to these readings to meet famous writers (not that I mind it a bit). I go to support and celebrate books.

No comments: